After having another episode of data going awol on my 910XT i thought id see if there was anyway of digging into the files on the watch itself.
Well it turns out you can, kind of. I didnt really allow me to find my lost data, but it has certainly given me new way of downloading the data which might be a bit more consistent. As I am guessing it might have been Garmin connect which corrupted the data whilst I was initially trying to get the data uploaded. It was taking an extraordinary long time to upload, I had only recorded about 2 activities since the last upload so it shouldn’t take that long. I ended up restarting the watch , it synced pretty quick then, but no activity in history, or on Garmin connect.
So i did a bit of googling and came across a couple of sites which suggested using some python scripts which would connect over the ANT+ USB and download all the activites off the watch.
I had to install the python libusb as was getting a no backend error. I installed it using brew:
I then went on to try uploading the retrieved files to strava, at which point I discovered some broken files so I used:
This is all bascially a list of what I have done just in case I need to remeber it !